Complete the quiz below if you do not know an answer enter "Pass" in that questions answer box, when you have
completed the quiz click the submit your answers button.
1. What Latin motto does the Mirfield coat of arms bear?
2. What does the Latin motto mean?
3. What is the name Mirfield thought to mean?
4. In the Doomsday book of 1086 how was Mirfield known? (Spelling)
5. Mirfield was originally a parish of Dewsbury. What gruesome event on Christmas day
1261 caused it to become a parish itself along with the building of the old parish church adjacent to the present day St Mary's?
6. In what year did the plague kill 130 of Mirfield residents?
7. What was the name of the woman that was said to have brought the plague to Mirfield
from the south of England?
8. Where in Mirfield did Charlotte Bronte attend school in 1831 then go on a few
years later to teach?
9. What was the name of the family associated with the now long demolished Blake
Hall in Mirfield?
10. Where was the Mirfield ducking stool located?
11. Where are Mirfield's town stocks located?
12. In 1667 Richard Thorpe endowed a grammar school
in Mirfield for the education of 15 poor children. Where was it located?
13. In 1812 the Luddites attacked Rawfolds Mill in Cleckheaton, where in Mirfield is
it said they had gathered and marched from?
14. The Calder and Hebble Navigation links Sowerby Bridge and Wakefield, in what
year was it navigable in Mirfield?
15. The canal in Mirfield is a broad canal and the barges that used it were often
referred to as West Country Boats because of their size, what was the maximum size that one could be to fit into the locks around Mirfield?
16. Boatbuilding went on in Mirfield for over two hundred years when was the last
wooden West Country boat completed?
17. The Manchester and Leeds Railway was the first line to pass through Mirfield,
when did it arrive?
18. Besides the present day railway station which two other area of Mirfield had
19. What area of Mirfield once had two railway stations in close proximity?
20. Prior to 1923 the railways in Mirfield were operated by the L&YR and the
L&NWR what are the full names of these two companies?
In what year did a "disastrous" fire destroy the old wing of the Grammar School? (Now Castle Hall)
Where were the Verona Fathers located in Mirfield?
Where was the paddling pool in Mirfield?
After the dark events of May 12th 1847 where became known as the"Murder House"?
Where did Patrick Stewart live while growing up in Mirfield?
Where did Sir Richard Beaumont live?
By what name is Sir Richard Beaumont often referred too locally?
Where in Mirfield was the LSD cycle car manufactured?
What is probably the oldest building in Mirfield?
45. More commonly know
as the "Soldiers & Sailors" where was Mirfield Ex-serviceman's club?
46. Where was Widows Row?
The "Kings Head" was the oldest pub in Mirfield, where was it?
Where was the "Fever" hospital?
What did J.F. & J. Crowther Ltd produce in Mirfield?
What is Ledgard Cornmill today?
A common site at Mirfield engine sheds what were often referred to as "Bed Irons"?
52. James Walker &
Sons LTD exported their products all over the world, what did they make?
Where in Mirfield would you find the "Quarry Theatre"?
Who was this gentleman and what was his association with Mirfield?
In past times besides textiles what was Mirfield best known for producing?
56. The present day
Three Nuns was built in the 1930's the original building was much older. What momento from the
previous building was incorporated into the new interior?
57. I n the days of
steam power, the locomotives carried Shed Code Plates to identify their home shed, for example
locomotives from Huddersfield shed carried the code 25B. What code did Mirfield locomotives
58. With the
formation of Kirklees, in what year did Mirfield Urban District Council cease to be?
59. What type of
sporting ground was located near to the Station on the site now occupied by the allotments in
the late 1800's?
In what year did the Community of the Resurrection move to Mirfield from Oxford?
If you would prefer to complete the quiz off-line a PDF version is
available by clicking the link below and then printing or saving the quiz from your PDF reader.
GET THE PDF VERSION OF THE QUIZ BY CLICKING HERE!!!