The original grave-slab featured a large cross and the inscription, "Here lie Roberd Hude, Willm Goldburgh, Thomas . . . " has long disappeared, it was
literally chipped away over the ages to be used as a supposed cure for toothache!
In 1773 the then Lord Armytage enclosed the grave in a low stone wall with iron railings, the grave suffered further damage in the 19th
century at the hands of navvies who were constructing the nearby railway.