Knowl in about 1910 with Mirfield Free School in the background. The school occupied this site from prior to the civil war in the
seventeenth century until 1875 when the school moved to new premises in West Field.
Through the gates to the right of the picture stood St Peters's Mission Church and School built in 1874, the
church closed in 1973 and was subsequently replaced by the present block of flats.