The view looking down Knowl Road around the turn of the century.
On the Ordnance Survey maps of the mid 1800's Knowl Road was then
known as Knowl Lane and only extended as far as the junction of Doctor Lane. Around this time the surrounding area would have been mainly fields.
Over the wall on the left of the picture was Knowl
House, while further down the hill just prior to the bend was the site of The Old Tan house. In the days before plastic, leather was widely used for many different applications, several tannerys
operated in the area.