Mirfield is divided into six hamlets, each of which has a viacurus or surveyor of the highways, annually chosen by the
Parish, A.D. 1755.
The church parsonage and vicarage stand in this hamlet; an old studded building near the church called Castle Hall, built in 1022-1066, with a Danish
Mount behind the house; Upperhall the property of Mr. Richard Shepley, who rebuilt it. The streets, lanes, and highways in Towngate :- Kimlane, Dunbottle, High Lane, Church Lane, Cross Green Lane,
etc. Here are four public houses, viz :-The Pack Horse, Eight Bells, and the Horns, two blacksmiths, and two shops for
Lee Green Hamlet.
This hamlet contains Lee Green, Little
London, Moorside to Foxroid, Gibhole, Wellhouse, Matchcroft , Nickhouse, and Greenside. Ways to be mentioned are the great highroad over Mirfield Moor to Robert-town nr. Dewyard Lane, Wood Lane, and
the Lane between that and Matchcroft, Water Royd Lane, etc. Here are 3 public houses, viz. :-The Three Rungs, The Swan, and the Red Lion. Three Butchers' Shops, two Grocers, and a Moravian
Meeting House, with a Workhouse for the poor.
Northorp, an old house which has been rebuilt, contains some curious remains of painted glass in the windows, and is still
called Northorp Hall. Shillbank, here are some good modern buildings, near which is the late Dr. Bolderstone's, etc. Northbar, Crossley, Field Head, Pate Lane, etc. The roads are that leading to
Nickhouse, Shill Bank Lane, that from Crossley, Dall Lane, Gill Lane, etc. Akeroid Lane is only a Bridle Lane, and not repaired by any public. Ravensthorp Lane is maintained by the parish, here are
two alehouses, a bowling green, a blacksmith's shop, and one for coffee and tea. There's a saddler's shop in Shillbank Lane, and an attorney's office. The alehouses are the Hare and
Hounds and the Cock.
The Low Mill, Blake Hall, a handsome new building, the property of WiIliam Turner, Esq. Easthorpe Lane, consisting of Water Hall, an ancient studded
building. Flash House, another old fabric, and several modern ones. Fold Head,
Legard Mill, Littlemoor, Snakehill, and Eastcliffe Bank, Knowl Lane, Knowl School, and Knowl. The ways are the great
Low Road, Knowl Lane, etc. Here are three alehouses, viz:- The Black Bull, ye Horse and Jockey, and the Cock; two corn and fulling mills, two grocers and drapers, an apothecary, the free school, and
around the entrenchment vulgarly called Kirkstead by it. Easthorpe, Villa arabilis.
Far Side Moor Hamlet.
Nabstocks Bank, West Mills, Cinderhill (built by Thos. Sharp in 1638), Bracken
Hall, Nunbrook, near it is Robin Hood's Sepulchral Monument, and the ruins of a Benedictine Nunnery. Yew Tree, an old studded building, Mock Beggar and Roe Head, two good farm houses, the long
range of houses is called Ratton Row. The Warren House stands upon a high spot of ground, near which appears ye butts, which were much resorted to when ye long bow was in use in England. Here is one
road to Leeds, two to Wakefield, besides a cross causeway to ye mill. Here are three alehouses, viz.:- The 3 Nuns, a Wooden Head, and the Virgin's Inn; one blacksmith, one butcher, and a
grocer's shop with linen and woollen drapery.