Calder Farm, Sands Lane.
In Oliver Wood adjacent to where this photograph was taken stood the Calder Farm Reformatory School. The
school was opened in 1855 and was tasked to reform the character of boys from all over the West Riding who were sentenced to the institution for committing petty crimes.
The regime was fairly
tough but the boys quite often received better education and care than could have been expected back home out of the institution. The school eventually closed in 1922. For many years the open air
swimming pool remained intact in the grounds close to the old buildings, as a reminder of it's past use.