Hopton United Reform Church around the turn of the century.
Prior to 1972 the church was known as the Hopton Congregational
Church or more commonly to locals as the "congs".
The Congregational Church has had a presence in Hopton going back as far as 1662 when local Squire Richard Thorpe on seeing his tenants, many of
them illiterate weavers and land workers, growing up in ignorance of the bible and its Christian moral teachings, held classes and prayer meetings in his own house for the people of Hopton.
first "true" chapel was constructed in 1732 and served the congregation for 100 years until the present day church was erected in 1829.
The building to the left of church was the Church School
House not only a Sunday school but the day school for the children of Hopton between 1845 and 1909.
During WW II the building was used by the Homeguard. It was also the first Head Quarters for
Mirfield's newly reformed Air Training Corps in the early 1980's.
Sadly, the building fell into disrepair and was demolished during the late 1980's.