St John's Church, Upper Hopton around 1900.
The church was designed in 1844 by Bonomi and Cory who had also recently designed the
recently completed Christ Church at Battyeford. The first stone was laid on St John's day (27th December) 1844 by Mr James Micklethwaite of Hopton Hall who donated the land. The Church was
consecrated on 21 October 1846 by Charles Thomas Langley, Bishop of Ripon. St John's incorporates many features from 15th Century Church design. Many people are quite surprised at its relative
The Lych gate (Similar to the one at Christ the King, Battyeford.) was added in 1949 as a memorial to those of Upper Hopton who gave their lives in World War Two.