Taylor's Newsagents, Huddersfield Road, Battyeford around 1910.
The name Battyeford first appeared in the early 1800's. Prior to
this, the area was known as "Far Moorside". The name probably changed to reflect the name of the cattle crossing on the Calder used from the 1700's until the late 1800's near the site of the
Halfpenny Bridge. Local droves would have driven their cattle over this relatively shallow section of river on their way to market. The name Battye is a fairly common surname around the area, the
ford itself may well have taken its name from an association with this family.